TherMiQ is split into four main work packages:
WP1: Single-shot quantum statistical mechanics (University of Oxford)
– Generalisation of the second principle of thermodynamics using the single-shot approach to quantum statistical mechanics. Design of experimental test‐beds in quantum opto-mechanics.
– Investigation of the quantitative relation between entanglement and majorisation theory. Investigation of the quantitative relation between quantum correlations and the “direction” of a thermodynamic process.
WP2: Thermodynamic transformations and cycles in quantum meso-systems (ETH Zurich)
– Design and experimental realisation of simple prototypes for quantum thermodynamic machines, exploiting the laws of quantum mechanics: implementations in hybrid quantum optomechanics and cold‐atom simulators.
– Quantitative theoretical analysis of heat‐transport processes using out‐of‐equilibrium mesoscopic systems: optomechanical crystals and intra-cavity optical lattices.
WP3: New diagnostic tools for thermometry of strongly correlated systems (Universitat Autonoma de Barcelona)
– Design and experimental implementation of Faraday-interface-based and cavity-aided techniques for the thermometry and diagnostics of strongly correlated quantum systems.
WP4: Optimal control of the thermodynamics of nonequilibrium meso-systems (Instituto Nanoscienze Consiglio Nazionale Delle Ricerche Pisa)
– Application of the theory of optimal control to the evolution of open mesoscopic systems: investigation of the optimal rate of change of thermodynamic parameters.
– Application of the theory of optimal estimation to the characterisation of the thermodynamic phases of interacting quantum many‐body systems: design of theoretical schemes and performing of test‐bed experiments in quantum opto-mechanics.
WP5 & WP6: Project Management & Dissemination, Collaboration and Exploitation (Queen’s University Belfast)
– Management of the Consortium and implementation of the principles of governance of the collaboration
– Setting and maintenance of the TherMiQ website.
– Monitoring and encouragement of mobility of participants and resources.
– Implementation of the plan for dissemination of the results of the project.